Thursday 30 June 2011

Reality Bites....

Well, time I updated everyone on what I have been doing since my last blog.

Joining a walking club - This has proven more difficult than I could ever imagined. I am still working with Oxon 20's - 30's walking club and am due out on a training walk towards the end of July. I am really hoping that after that walk that we will be able to move forward and I can become a member. So fingers crossed on that front as this is a key part of my training plan.

Holiday - I had a week in South West France, there was no rigorous training, but I did ensure that I got out for the odd walk and bike ride, possibly not enough to burn off the cheese and wine though!

Mid week walks - Last week I went out for a mid week walk with a colleague Chris Willson, we went for a walk along the Ridgeway in Oxfordshire, definitely worth doing, but caws lacking any real tough terrain, so this week we are going to find some hills!

Snowdonia - Well, reality does bite! I spent the weekend in Snowdonia and climbed Mt Snowden and my god it was hard, harder than I had ever imagined. The hardest thing was finding a place to put my feet as we climbed up the rocks and boulders, as I became more tired, the harder it got to find a stable foot hold! The rain chucked it down all the way up the mountain and I soon found out that the water proof coat I was wearing was not....

Anyhow, I made it up the mountain, and after doing some more hill walking on the Sunday, I was thoroughly knackered. I am really glad I have done it and I owe a big thanks to my best man John Barnaby. I now have some idea of what faces me on Mt Kilimanjaro and it is certainly not going to be a walk in the park.

Now what - So with a rocket up my backside, hill training is on the agenda, I have built a big step out of bricks in the garage and have already been putting myself through my paces, bricks in a rucksack and climbing the step to exhaustion will help me to build those essential muscles, retain balance and strengthen my ankles!

In the next week or 2 I will be submitting my story to the local press in a hope to drum up some awareness of my challenge, so I'll keep you posted on that front.

Plans are coming along within RM to get a fundraising day going, so hopefully this will see a little more cash come Helen & Douglas House's way!

SO, I'll keep training and mid August I'm off to the Lake District to climb another mountain!

Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment