Thursday 9 February 2012

1 week to go!

Well, only 1 week to go and i'll be on my way to Kilimanjaro, slightly nervous? Yes.

Last weekend, i went on a 13 mile training walk organised by Action Challenge, definately worth going and surprisingly at the end of it, my legs were tired, but not as many aches and pains as i had anticipated!

Some really good news is that my fundraising has been going really well and all of the generous people out there have donated around £3800 + Gift aid, so it's closer to £4200, which is a tremendous amount of money to have raised. Helen and Douglas are really happy as well as it will make a big difference to the children and young adults that use the facility.

I am now fully vacinated against just about every possible disease on the planet having had 3 visits to the nurse for various vacinations and boosters! I have all of the kit that i need and just need to get the odd little bit like cash and energy foods etc. So just need to try and cram all the stuff into a bag and that's that.

In terms of my training, i am now done and am just resting until we embark on the big climb, storing my energy and resting my muscles. Having talked to many other people that are doing the climb, i think i have a lot to thank John for, we have done all 3 peaks and the peak district and despite my bitching towards the end of each one, it has been great and really put me in a good position to get up Kili. I am in no doubt that this climb is going to be tough and Summit day is going to be the toughest day of my life with 18 hours walking which will inevitably result in some tough mental challenges, there will undoubtedly be times when i want to turn around and go back and it is going to take all my mental strength to get through the tough times.

I guess knowing what to expect and knowing how i will react is half the battle, so i am as prepared as i am ever going to be! I am confident that i can get to the top of Kili, i just know it's going to be tough, real tough.

I will probably post again just before i go.

Take care

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment